The Harmony Company was at one time Americas largest manufacturer of musical instruments. The Company started in 1892, and was later purchased by Sears, Roebuck of Chicago, in 1916.
By 1938 Harmony was making electric lap steel guitars under the names LaScala, Sovereign, Silvertone, and Stella.
This Stella guitar is from the early period of lap steel development. It has a solid maple wood body painted black, and it features a wrap around horseshoe magnet pickup similar to the style of Electro Rickenbacher pickups made during the same era.